Soumil – Week 15 – The Sound of My Sister’s Laughter
There is a little sound that never fails to make me smile, it's my little sister's laughter. It's a high pitched silly sometimes squeaky and all this pure with a little bit of cranky. The way it drinks through the house When she is either chasing my guinea pigs or playing in the garden it reminds me that memory doesn't always look like a photograph sometimes it looks like home.
One recent afternoon she came up to me holding a tiny flower from the backyard and said this is for you because you help me with spelling words in my homework. It was such a small movement but her tone of her voice was so proud and so grateful which hit me really hard like I never thought that it would take me to a point where I almost emotionally start crying. That voice would be one of those memories I carry into adulthood.
The giggles the whispers the random knock knock jokes that make no sense but still make us laughed these tiny sounds stay with me throughout my mind even after the movement have passed. Have been thinking about how language shapes those memories. Her pronunciation is still devopping and she has immensely random words like fofa instead of sofa I mean it is Hella funny but they become a private language between us and that language is stitched into my memory forever.
As I reflect on this I have realized that language isn't always formal. it's not just the essay and speeches but it's the giggles the mispronunciation bedtime stories and whispers in the dark which always scares her by the way. The little boys of a 7 year old girl who thanks guinea pigs are the funniest creatures on Earth makes me laugh all day and it's something I cannot forget.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/child-with-guinea-pig.html?sortBy=relevant
Hi Soumil, as someone who also wrote about my love for my sister in my blog this week, I can totally relate to wanting to remember every memory you have with her. She seems really cute and sweet based off your memories--I don't remember every giving my sister a flower for just helping me with my homework so I guess she would not have the same sweet memories of me. My sister and I also have our own little language which is a combination of our mother tongue, Gujarati, and English which no one except us can decipher. It helps us build a special connection which I'm sure is what you also feel with your own sister. Overall, I love your recounting of the memories that stand out for you with your sister and I hope that your relationship will only strengthen as time goes on you and both grow older.
ReplyDeleteHi Soumil! It is absolutely adorable how you have such an unbreakable bond with your younger sister and how you want to cherish every moment with her. Although I am the younger sibling, the memories with my sister definitely take a great portion in my heart and are honestly unforgettable. Whether they are times when we argue to the point where both of us cry from annoyance and anger or are so joyful to the point where we laugh until our stomachs hurt, these memories form and shape who we became and are fundamental to who we are. It is frankly quite amazing that we are able to foster such special connections with our siblings in this lifetime and share the happiest and darkest moments with them. As a younger sister, your sibling most likely views you as one of the most important people in her life, as well as the best brother she could ever have.
ReplyDelete