Soumil Week 14- How Does AI Remember?
Memory is a very tricky thing to understand. As humans we don't just store facts we attach stuff together to memorize for example emotions contacts personal experiences these all connect to our memories and store as a part of our life somewhere inside our mind but sometimes you don't remember anything for example I generally don't remember what I ate this morning for breakfast I mean it was only a couple Hours ago but I still don't remember. But how does AI, particularly large language models like ChatGPT, and Gemini “remember” information?
This question has been on my mind for a very long time so guess what I decided to do? I wrote a research paper on it called theory of mind in AI, This went pretty successful not gonna lie.
AI just doesn't remember things like we do. It doesn't have any living experiences, emotions or personal contact unless we give some of it. Instead it can predict responses based on statistical patterns in massive databases and I made over 2000 scenario based databases to check how they remember and when I said they I mean AI. When I asked ChatGPT a question, it's not recalling the past memory unless I asked it to store it even if I'm logged out, it's analyzing my input and generating the most probable answer based on the training data it was given by its creators…. wow right?
But this idea comes with challenges. If AI could truly remember, where would we draw the line between useful memory and privacy concerns?
Honestly reflecting on this, I realize how much humans rely on language to preserve memory whether your storytelling reading a book journaling or any other everyday conversation. AI, on the other hand, only mirrors our language patterns and rewrites them in different ways so what do you think about this?
Hi Soumil! I found it quite interesting how you compared human memory to the "memory" of AI, especially how our minds do not just store facts, but also emotional experiences, past friendships, as well as random events that we can somehow remember clearly. These make our memories deeply personal and unique from what other people have, completely different than AI's "memory". Its capacity cannot recall memories and does not have "any living experiences, emotions or personal contact unless we give some of it" or ask it to store our inputs. It is extremely impressive how you wrote a research paper investigating their differences, making over "2000 scenario based databases," checking if it had remembered what you said when you mean AI. Reflecting on your question, I believe that it's clear how memory plays an extremely important part of our lives, as we preserve and share our experiences and emotions to the people around us, whereas AI simply just mimics these patterns without truly understanding or remembering the unique, special moments behind the words. I hope to read more of your blogs about memory in the upcoming weeks!
ReplyDelete