Ruhi Week 15 - Pardner for Life
When my sister left home to go study at UT Austin, I was devastated. I would have to survive the next 4 years—the 4 years of high school—without her. As soon as she was gone, I wanted her back. After spending every moment of the previous 14 years together, I couldn't believe she would be leaving me for the four most crucial years of my life.
I begged my parents for the entirety of my freshman year to let me visit my sister in Texas, but they refused saying that I was too young. Finally, after months of pleasing and beseeching my parents, they finally gave me a condition in October of my sophomore year: I can fly to Texas alone IF I can find cheap enough tickets. Two weeks later, I hit the jackpot. After days of refreshing all the travel websites and calling my sister for hours to discuss the possibilities, I found extremely cheap tickets and let my parents know immediately. Even though the flight itself was on a low quality airline, I didn't mind as long as I got to travel to Auston. It turns out that my parents were just testing me and wanted to see how serious I was about traveling so when they saw all the effort I put into finding a way to go to Texas, they grudgingly booked my tickets in the best airline they could find.
Four months later in March, I was ready to go to Austin. I was traveling alone for the first time ever but I lack a lot of basic life skills, flying being one of them. I was extremely nervous at the airport but by asking around for help, I eventually made my way into my seat and I was off to the city of the Longhorns.
Once I landed in Austin, the best three days of my life began. I was living alone with my sister in her apartment and the freedom of being away from home was overwhelming. I finally got to see my sister's lifestyle and it was an incredible experience. We went to a new place everyday so that I could explore the town, going pottery painting, kayaking, and downtown. I met all of her friends and made it through the chorus of "OMG! You look exactly like your sister." I got to dance with her dance team. I got a personal tour of the entire UT Austin campus. I got to binge watch any show I wanted on her TV (I ended up finishing two seasons of Designated Survivor).
Leaving Austin was bittersweet. I would get to go back home to my parents and house, but I would have to leave behind the lasting memories I made with my sister in her new hometown. Living in a different city almost by myself was an incredible experience because it was the first time I felt truly independent and this is not a memory I will forget anytime soon.
Ruhi, this was a wonderful account of finding a feeling of independence in the trip you made to Texas. The fact that you were so devastated when your sister left for college that you insisted on visiting her reveals just how strong of a bond you two have, and I'm glad that your parents allowed you to visit her despite the condition they gave you as a test. I can definitely relate to the feeling of lacking life skills, and the experience of navigating an airport by yourself at 14 must have been nervewracking, but it's great that these struggles were worth it in the end. I really like your picture choice here as well. It feels very authentic—something that you took in those nervous yet independent moments after reaching your destination. Overall, great job on this Blog Post!
ReplyDeleteHi Ruhi! Your entry was so touching and beautifully written tribute—I could just sense how much love and close connection there is between you and your sister. The heartache of writing about her departing to college had me reflecting back on just how difficult it is to be making those sorts of goodbyes, particularly when someone has been that close to you in your life. I was impressed by how determined you were to get your parents to bring you to go see her—it showed just how important the trip was to you. All of the activities you mentioned doing in Austin, like kayaking and watching Designated Survivor marathons, made your journey seem real and accessible. It is wonderful how a vacation gave both of you a sense of independence and a chance to connect with your sister on another level. I enjoyed hearing how the temporary distance turned into some of your best memories. Thank you so much for posting such a touching experience; I'm sure it will stay with you for years to come!
ReplyDeleteHi Ruhi! Your relationship with your sister is so sweet, and it is quite amazing that your parents allowed you to fly alone to your sister. Just like you, I also have an older sister, and although her college is relatively closer, I still miss her presence after spending practically my entire life with her. I remember the day she had to move into her college, I fell sick and was unable to accompany her for the last moments we could stay together. At that moment, I felt absolutely crushed by the fact that the person closest to me was leaving me behind, beginning her own new independent journey at college. However, it was also quite amazing exploring her campus, going to the best food joints near the college, as well as following along her new daily routine. Your blog is extremely relatable, and sharing such a close bond with our siblings is honestly one of the best things we can ever have.
ReplyDelete