Ruhi Week 14 - Fooled Ya

 Every year on April 1st, my family fears for our sanity. My mom genuinely has the best April Fools pranks, making for some of the best memories within the four of us.

It started a year into my parents' marriage. My dad came home from work one day and saw a strange object in the corner covered with a cloth. He asked my mom what it was and she told him that it was a sculpture of our God delivered from India and he had to bow down to it three times and pray. He did exactly as she asked, bowing down to the figure thrice and dutifully praying. Once he was done, my mom removed the cover and revealed what was under it. And lo and behold, the "God" was…a pair of shoes. My mom cracked up, and from that moment on, my dad knew to never believe anything my mom says on April 1st again.

However, when my sister and I were born, we were not given a warning about my mom's evil pranks. One of the best ones I remember was during Covid. My club was holding a fundraiser at Milk and Honey so I was planning on getting boba with a friend on April 2nd. However, completely forgetting about the date myself, my mom reminded me about this and told me to go outside and wait for my friend to pick me up so that we could get boba together. I waited outside for thirty minutes and then my mom finally called me back inside. She repeatedly asked me what the date was and I insistently said "April 2nd!" However, once I realized that it was actually April 1st, I had to give my mom credit for her incredible prank, somehow making me forget the days of the week.

She does jokes like this every year. The year after that, she told my sister and I to get ready in our cultural gear because our aunt was picking us up to go to the temple. So, we got completely dressed in Indian clothes and waited at the door for forty-five minutes before my mom once again reminded us of the date. Somehow, even though we should be expecting something from my mom every year, my family never fails to get fooled.

This year, my mom didn't pull anything but I am her daughter after all. So as revenge for all the hours wasted waiting for people who would never show up, I pulled a few evil pranks of my own this year. Let's just say…she did not enjoy them and has now learned how it feels to be fooled on the day of fools.



Comments

  1. Ruhi, I love this delightful Blog Post about your April Fools experiences. It seems the tradition of pranking one another goes a long way within your family, and the anecdotes you chose effectively portray your mother's effectiveness at this art, from her ability to trick your father into praying to a pair of shoes to the way she made you forget the date of a meetup with a friend. Having to wait for forty-five minutes in Indian clothing for a trip to the temple that never happened sounds rather inconvenient, too. I notice that a lot of her pranks involve making you believe that, because of some special thing on the day, you are supposed to take an action of some sort―but, as it turns out, it is April Fools' Day and it turns out all for nothing.

    When you ended this piece hinting at your own explorations in this art of pranking, I expected to hear a bit about what you came up with. If there is one piece of feedback I have, it would be to include one of your own pranks to juxtapose against the kinds of jokes your mother pulled. However, aside from that, this was a fun Blog Post to read, and I wish you the best of luck on future April Fools' endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ruhi, I loved reading your post! It was just such a funny and cozy look at your family's silly April Fools' tradition. Your mom really made me sound like a master prankster. I couldn't help but laugh just thinking about your dad bowing down to some shoes! That kind of playfulness and humor within a family is just so special, and how you described each prank had me feeling like I was right there with you. The boba one during Covid would get me big time. I can just imagine how infuriated and perplexed you were out there waiting! How you presented it in your humor just made the experience all the more memorable. I adore the way the pranks have become part of this family tradition, and your ultimate get-back moment with your mom was just the perfect surprise. I could read a whole series of your April 1st escapades.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ruhi, Your blog seriously had me laughing out loud lolol! Your mum sounds like an absolute legend when it comes to April fools, I can't believe the shoe sculpture prank actually worked on your dad especially the way you described each prank was so vivid I could totally picture you standing outside waiting for your boober ride. I love how you enter it with a hint that you got from your mom back this year major plot twist lol. I was so hoping you describe one of your own pranks though. Either way, your storytelling was on point and full of personality looking forward to the next chapter of your April fool's saga

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pearl Kyaw 16 - This Is It?

Ruhi Week 16 - Happy Birthday to Me

Anthony Week 16 - Whoopsie Daisy!