Gurnoor Kaur 14 - Can You Make the Music Louder Please?

Music. This collection of sounds, instruments, and words has existed for a long time and made its way to people’s hearts. It’s so funny to me sometimes that this thing used to be something played only at important events and now it’s something many people can’t live without. Many people often forget to remember that along with other things, the dynamics of music and songs drastically evolved within the last couple of years. 


I often find it very enjoyable to see how much my taste in music has evolved as I grew up. I went from listening to Justin Timberlake’s “Can’t Stop the Feeling” to Kendrick Lamar’s “All the Stars”. My change in music throughout not only the years but also the months of a year also fascinates me and the others around me. It was no wonder then that everyone’s always so excited to see their Spotify Wrapped, it’s so fun to know your top songs and changes in genres within months. Seeing the minutes you’ve listened to music is so astonishing too, one of my friends listened to over 100,000 minutes of music last year!


I’ve also noticed that my music often leaves an impact on me both physically and emotionally. I realize that I listen to more upbeat music when I’m happier and slower music when I’m more upset. However, playing happier and faster music while I’m feeling down has often helped me turn my mood around. Moreover, my heart rate and energy often matches that of the song too so it helps me focus and get things done faster sometimes!


This week is my aunt’s wedding and I was attending a smaller event right before her wedding day. I found myself dancing with other people even though I had told myself I shouldn’t out of fear that I didn’t dance that well. While dancing, I quickly realized from looking at all the smiling faces that music was more than simply background music to tap your toes to, it was a way for everyone to come together and connect! I had never realized before that just how long it had been since I had listened to songs in my native language instead of songs in English or other languages. Furthermore, the songs played held much history since they have been played at weddings for many generations. Nearly everyone knows its lyrics and enjoys it thoroughly since it serves as a reminder of good times (nevermind the fact that its volume is almost deafening). Nearly everyone in my family loves music and dancing to it. One of my aunts has three kids and wanted to dance so bad that she made other people take care of them while she danced her heart out.


Even as I enjoy my aunt’s wedding this week, I’ll be sure to enjoy the music and dance as much as I can! When was the last time you let loose and gave into music or even stopped to realize the impact it has?


Comments

  1. Hi Gurnoor! I definitely resonate with your description of listening to music. My music taste varies just like yours depending on my mood during a specific week or month of my life―now, I guess it's soundtrack? Not sure. But it's always fun to see my Spotify Wrapped as it reveals just what I have been listening to. I actually got Spotify last year, and seeing a Wrapped for the first time in my life revealed a ridiculously high amount of music listening as well as a constantly fluctuating music taste. I also agree that music can affect mood a lot. Some songs have energizing effects, while others have calming effects, and I'm glad you have found ways to use music to your advantage to help you focus and improve your mood.

    I also appreciate your inclusion of a specific anecdote that demonstrates how your relationship with music plays into your life. Dancing to music is delightful, and I do believe there are some songs that are impossible to resist the allure of. It's also interesting how a certain collection of songs can have familial history behind it, and it's great that this made the experience of listening to that music more enjoyable. I hope you enjoyed the wedding, and great job on your Blog Post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gurnoor! I love the topic of your blog! I enjoy listening to music as much as you do and your blog was a very cute read. Although my music taste has changed over time, I’ll still enjoy listening to songs I listened to as a child, like old bops from My Little Pony. I love revisiting songs I used to actively listen to from years ago. I smiled at your mention of Spotify Wrapped, which is something I look forward to every year. I love seeing how my music taste fluctuates, because the songs I keep in my circulation tend to change every month or so. My minutes must be very high, too, because I listen to Spotify almost every day! I liked your commentary on how the music you listen to affects your mood. It’s interesting how the emotions being portrayed in a song can in turn make an impact on the listener, too. Right now, I am listening to upbeat, fun music, putting me in the mood to write blog comments in a fun way! I think it’s adorable how you were able to express yourself freely dancing with other people at the event you attended, and I hope you enjoyed your aunt’s wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gurnoor! Now that you point it out, I've never really actually stopped to think about the impact that music had; I've generally just thought of it as something in the background that will always be there. The point you made about our changing music tastes illustrated by the yearly Spotify Wrapped really struck a chord, as I find out that my music taste has drastically changed as months dragged on. For the past few years, I had always ended the year with music that wasn't even remotely similar to what I had started with. Also, since you brought up the physical impact that music can have on us, I realize that it's been all around me now that I've actually stopped to think about it. There are always people with their AirPods in before important races at swim meets, seeking that physical boost from music in order to prime them for their race. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed your aunt's wedding!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pearl Kyaw 16 - This Is It?

Ruhi Week 16 - Happy Birthday to Me

Anthony Week 16 - Whoopsie Daisy!