Anthony Week 14 - I Hate Tests
Tests kinda just suck in general.
I mean who likes tests? We have to somehow answer a wide array of questions purely by using the information we have stored in our heads, with no help from anyone or anything. Not all tests are created equal, though. Some tests are pretty easy, as all you have to do is have the beginnings of an idea of the concepts, and they give you the rest of the information to answer the questions. The tests that actually suck are the ones that you have to memorize formulas and plug them in to solve the problems. Even worse are the memorization tests where I feel like I should know the answer to a question, but it somehow eludes me. It’s those questions that I know I’ve studied for and know the content of, but when it comes time to take the test, it seems to just magically disappear from my brain. These sorts of tests have the same sort of feeling as when you’re trying to reach something on the top shelf of a cabinet but it’s just barely out of reach; it feels so close yet so far at the same time.
Why does this happen?
According to an article about why students forget they study, there are plenty of reasons that this can happen, with reasons ranging from not getting enough sleep to having ineffective studying routines. In the end, it’s still up to us to fix this problem which is both good and bad, as it’s good that it can be fixed, but bad that we have to put in significant work in order to fix this problem.
Hello Anthony! Just so you know as I read your Blog Post on the frustrations of test-taking, I am procrastinating on studying for the test on Toni Morrison's Beloved for this very class.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I very much resonate with your description of various kinds of test-taking. Your description of a test where you only need "the beginnings of an idea of the concepts" reminds me of AP history exams (World and United States) where some of the questions are asking you to interpret a historical source rather than remembering specific historical details yourself. I find those kinds of tests valuable because, in the real world, it is more likely that we would have to apply knowledge than to just memorize and regurgitate it. I understand your frustration about tests dependent on formula memorization, but I personally prefer memorizing several formulas over actually having to think about how to go about solving a problem.
The bit about memorization-based tests resonates quite a bit, though. (Reading quizzes are the bane of my existence for this reason.) I've never been great at keeping track of details, instead preferring to analyze and apply a bigger-picture understanding. I really like your analogy of reaching for the top shelf of a cabinet; that is definitely the feeling of seeing a question and knowing that I almost know the answer, but I am not entirely there yet. Overall, this was a lovely Blog Post that focuses on a very relatable Aspect of our quarterly theme of Memory, so great job on it!
Hi Anthony, as Aruna also mentioned above, I can especially relate to your blog because I am also currently cramming for the Beloved test. Studying for tests has always been a hassle for me because I am known to procrastinate whenever and wherever I can. Especially last year in tenth grade, I wouldn't even study for my math tests and I was encouraged to continue this poor work ethic by my good test grades. However, I promised to lock in for my junior year but it is still extremely annoying to have to study for tests. Honestly, I disagree with you that the worst tests are where you have to memorize formulas and plug them in. I often find those to be my easiest tests like Physics and Calculus, especially if I really understand the concept. Then, I generally find it simple to figure out the best formula and get the answer right. Overall, I love the candor of your blog and your frustration with tests really came through with your tone.
ReplyDeleteHi Anthony I really enjoyed reading your blog mainly because it was perfectly relatable and sums up the same exact frustration I feel every time I take a test. I liked how you mentioned the different types of test. I kind of prefer the plug and chug formula ones because at least I know what I'm supposed to do once I remember the formula but reading comprehensions of vocab based tests those mess up my confidence a lot. You kneel that when you said that it's both good and bad that the solution lies with us will stop its exhausting but anywhere really engaging force and the one that made me feel like I'm not the only one in the chaotic journey of high school test taken
ReplyDelete