Pearl Kyaw 13 - Circumstances of Living

 Our brain is a complex organ that controls a variety of our being as a human. Our senses, the ability to move, thoughts, emotions, and memory. Memory is a vital aspect of being who you are, as it quite literally shapes you through the way you think or make decisions. 

In 1894, Sir Francis Galton, cousin to Charles Darwin, coined the term “nature vs nurture,” the psychological argument of whether a person’s biology shapes them the most, or if their environment and the circumstances surrounding them do. The true answer to this question does not really take a side. Who a person is depends on both their birth and their situation—nature and nurture working together to form an identity. 

As one progresses through life, memories are made and stored in the cerebellum. As I am writing this blog, there is a memory of me typing each word in this sentence. Is that not fascinating to think about? The concept of time, and the fact that we are constantly pressing forward with no pause. A significant amount of time has passed since the moment I woke up this morning. Throughout the day, I was continuously thinking, making actions, and interacting with others—all activities that became memories of the past in my brain. Take this example and apply it to your entire life. The idea that I really was twelve at some point, the idea that I really did do certain things, know certain people. The idea that I once lived in that moment, which now feels so far away. 

I find it so interesting how one’s experiences shape their identity. I once read a book about a boy who was a notorious bully, one who caused other kids to go home crying or move away altogether. He loses his memory after falling off a roof and completely forgets the type of person he was. Being a first-person story, it was interesting to read about how innocent his thoughts were, how different his brain functioned in comparison to the bully he used to be, and especially his confusion when met with those he hurt. Despite everything he did to harm others and all the actions he made in life, with one accident, he became an entirely different person. Upon a quick search, I found this book to be titled Restart by Gordon Korman. 

 As important as genetics and the biological aspects of a person is, so is their upbringing and all of the outside factors that affect them. I would not be the person I am today if not for everything I have gone through which formed the beliefs I have, shaped my morals, or taught me how to handle future situations. I am the child of immigrant parents, and I often think about how different my life would be if circumstances were different. If I had been born in my home country, or if my parents moved somewhere else other than America. What would my life be like if I grew up in Britain? Australia? Who would I have met? What would I do? Who would I be? 



(https://characterlab.org/tips-of-the-week/nature-versus-nurture/)


Comments

  1. Hi Pearl! Your blog was really engrossing and eye-opening for me to read. It really made me realize how much we are influenced by the things and people we are surrounded with as we grow up. Although this is something known and discussed before, the way you posed this idea as the central deciding factor really made me think back to my own childhood and how my surroundings have shaped me. I really liked how you included those questions in your blog since it really got me thinking about not only myself but also about others I know about such as friends and even characters on tv shows. I had recently been rewatching the show Avatar: The Last Airbender with my little sister and your blog really made me think back to each of the main protagonists and how their pasts have shaped them. For example, how would have Katara and Soka ended up if their mother hadn’t been killed by the fire nation? What if Zuko never got his scar? What if Toph’s parents had been supportive of her ambitions and rough lifestyle? I especially loved the historical aspect that you brought into this since we often forget to think of the people who have discovered and laid the foundation for these kinds of important discoveries. I hope I get to work with you more this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pearl! Your post was such a great debate about how our identities are created by nature and nurture. I loved how you wrote about the place of memory in creating who we are, it's just such a compelling concept. The way you described how time never stands still, yet every second adds up to become our past, really made me consider how memories create who we are today. The restart experience in the book by Gordon Korman was such a great way of showing us how powerful memory is and how a single moment can completely transform a person. I also particularly agreed with what you said regarding the way that our experience and environment contribute a great deal to who we actually become. I also wonder, though, how much of a difference my life would be if I were born somewhere else or under different circumstances. Our family histories can be so intertwined with our surroundings. Your post made me reflect a bit too much on my life and all of the environmental or nature factors that may have influenced me and that speaks volumes about how well written your post is, I'm looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pearl Kyaw 16 - This Is It?

Ruhi Week 16 - Happy Birthday to Me

Anthony Week 16 - Whoopsie Daisy!