Gurnoor Kaur 13 - Spending Time Together

Vacations and trips. Who doesn’t enjoy them? A chance to relax and temporarily forget some of your many responsibilities that would usually be swimming through one’s mind. A chance to explore a new world by yourself or bring along family and friends to augment the experience. A chance to bond and create new memories with others. I have always enjoyed taking trips, especially the one I took two years ago to Toronto, Canada.

That trip is my most memorable since I had the most fun there out of all the trips I have taken to this day. My family had taken this trip because my cousins live in Toronto and my uncle and his family would be arriving during that time too. This was especially exciting because we hadn’t seen each other in over seven years. It was upon seeing them that I truly realized just how long it had been since I had seen them (my mom almost began crying out of happiness)!

This trip also helped me come to the realization that above other things, I value the time spent with my family the most. Although me and my family didn’t travel much during our time there, for some reason it felt like we had already seen all we needed to and enjoyed it beyond words. It helped me come to the cognizance that the reason why I loved this trip so much was because I was spending it with family I had not connected with in a long time. Family. It was because of family.

Since I’m older now, I’ve realized that I had always enjoyed spending time with others I know, and that had most often come in the form of family members. Whether it be an aunt or cousin, the idea of someone coming over always made me happy since I always thought of it as an opportunity to reconnect and build stronger bonds with someone all while having fun. It was a new voice to hear, new thoughts to understand, new feelings to commiserate, and new experiences to acknowledge.

Now that I look more closely, I realize that it’s a trait I’ve inherited from my parents who also love engaging with family. It’s no wonder my parents often reminisce about their childhood days and simple times spent together in closeness. They often excitedly speak on how whole three families used to live together under the same roof with people coming to visit nearly every day, sharing laughter and love that extended throughout the whole neighborhood. Their vivid descriptions and imagery never failed to leave me wishing that I could experience that for myself or even that they could feel that once again and fill part of the hole that it had created in their hearts when they left for America as it can never be experienced again. To this day, my family still values this and always looks forward to the next time we can meet a loved one again.


Comments

  1. Hi Gurnoor, your blog was really interesting. I really enjoyed reading about your trip to Toronto and how it deepened your appreciation for family, especially family time. Your reflection on realizing that it is not the place but the people that make an experience special really hit me. I also like how you connected this realization to your parents' past stories as it adds a deeper connection almost like the main element about your blog which again really gives me a deeper meaning. Do you think this trip changed how you prioritize time with family in a daily life or something else? Overall your blog was really good looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gurnoor, your blog is so relatable because even I love spending time with my family when we go on vacation. Some of our best and fondest memories have been formed during our vacations. Even our negative memories like the phone incident I described in my blog have contributed to my family's dynamic becoming stronger. Beautiful vacation spots also have left a lasting impact on me like Santorini Island in Greece which is still one of my favorite vacation places till date. It was really interesting to read about your trip to Toronto which left a lasting impact on you. I personally have never been there but I have visited other cities in Canada which are all really beautiful, especially Ontario. Overall, I love the memories expressed in your blog, but I would have liked to see an image of your trip to really see what you fell in love with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gurnoor! I must say I had a laugh after reading that your favorite trip was in Canada, as my family’s trip to Canada is infamous in our household for being our least favorite. I don’t exactly remember what it was that made it so unenjoyable, but I do have feelings of bitterness surrounding it. However, I am glad that your experience with Canada was filled with smiles. It is so sweet how you were able to come to a conclusion about how much you love spending time with family. I don’t enjoy going out of the house often, or going on trips, but I find that once I am out and about in an entirely new place, it is so fun. This mainly attributes to my sibling. Even if I am in an entirely different country, it will always be an enjoyable experience if my sibling is present. Family is so important and definitely something I treasure with all my heart. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gurnoor, I simply enjoyed reading your post! I could completely relate to it, especially how you talked about how much you love spending time with family. Your reflection on the trip to Toronto and how great it was to finally meet relatives after so long was so heartwarming. I can only imagine how powerful it must have been to be reunited with family after seven years—it's amazing how the time we get to spend with loved ones has the ability to fulfill our hearts in a way that no other experience has. I also really related to how you expressed the idea of family being at the center of your happiest memories. Like you, I find that the most fulfilling moments of life are spent with family, laughing and creating memories together. Your post had me thinking about how easy it is to miss these moments, yet how precious they become as we get older and reflect on our lives. Your story also made me think about how our parents' values and traditions affect us, even in ways we don't necessarily consider at first glance. I love how you tied that back into your parents' lives when they were growing up and why family is so important to them. It’s beautiful to see how those memories and traditions continue to influence your own life, and I’m sure it makes your family reunions even more special. I’m looking forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pearl Kyaw 16 - This Is It?

Ruhi Week 16 - Happy Birthday to Me

Anthony Week 16 - Whoopsie Daisy!