Dhriti Maharatna 13 - Made of Memories

 


Let's say you wake up tomorrow as a completely different individual. New name, new face, new life. But you still have all the memories of the "you" that you are today—your childhood, your family, your favorite songs, your worst heartbreak, that one time you sneezed and farted simultaneously in front of your entire class (hasn’t happened to me, I promise). All of it. You still have it all. So… who are you?

There's a theory that asks this exact question: What if you're not the same person every day? What if your body changes, your identity resets, but your memories stay the same? Are you still you? Is it your body that makes you who you are, or are your memories the real you?

Memories—they're the ultimate chameleons. They shift, lose definition, distort, and sometimes disappear altogether. And yet, they anchor us. They tell us who we are, where we've been, what we've lived through. They're the reason a song from ten years ago can pull you back into a moment you didn't realize you still carried. They're responsible for making some locations feel like home and certain faces stick in your head even when you haven't seen them in years.

Memories build our sense of self. Your name may change, your body may change, but the memories—the manner in which you remember joy, pain, love, embarrassment—they'd still be yours. You could wake up in someone else's life and still be haunted by your old dreams or driven by the same childhood ambitions. That's how powerful memories are. They give you continuity, a story, a "you" that's separate from the mirror.

But this is where it gets tricky: memories are not always reliable. Two people can share the same moment and remember it differently. Even you can remember the same event differently as time goes on. So if our identity is created by something as unstable as memory, how solid is our identity, then? Maybe we're not so much a constant person but a sum total of experiences, thoughts, and stories that we tell ourselves.

And maybe that's okay. Maybe that's even freeing. Because if you're made up of memories, and memories are always changing, then that means you can always change too. You're not set. You're not your worst day or your biggest mistake. You're the whole mosaic—all the people you've been and all the people you're going to be yet.

So, what role do memories play in shaping us? Everything. They’re the architects of our inner world. Without them, we’d be hollow. With them, we’re complicated, layered, constantly evolving.

Who are you? Maybe you’re your memories. Or maybe you’re the one deciding which memories matter the most. Either way, you’re still going to be remembered by that time you farted and sneezed at the same time in front of thirty people (HASN’T HAPPENED TO ME, I PROMISE).

Comments

  1. Hi Dhriti! I really enjoyed reading your blog since it really made me realize just how important our memories are and how they they define us. I thought the way you started off with the introduction to your blog by making me think of the hypothetical scenario really got me thinking on just how my memories have impacted me. It makes me wonder how I would have turned out to be if I didn’t experience certain things or if some circumstances had been different. Your sentence on how you can “still be haunted by your old dreams or driven by the same childhood ambitions” really resonated with me since the your claim was so clear and true and it almost made it seem as if memories were all which control our every move. I still remember many of my early memories and still feel their effects on me now which makes me wonder how different I could have been if I remembered all of them. I promise you I’ve never farted and sneezed at the same time yet but maybe one day that memory can be formed and affect me. I hope I get to work with you more this school year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dhriti! I immensely enjoyed reading your blog! The theory you mentioned at the very beginning was very intriguing (and fun)! I am a big fan of what-if scenarios and contemplating life, so your blog definitely got my brain cogs churning. The concept of life is so fascinating. I am here at this very moment, and I know I have done many things in the past because I experienced it, and those experiences are stored in my memories. However, as your theory states, there is no way to know. These could simply be the memories of this life that I myself had never gone through, and I could have been an entirely different person a day ago. I also found your statement on how the same memory could be interpreted by different people in their own ways. Every person in the world is different, navigating through life and seeing things through different lenses. One action that meant nothing to one person could have changed someone else’s life entirely. Overall, your blog was very fun to read. I loved all of the scenarios and concepts you explored. I’m glad you never farted and sneezed at the same time in front of thirty people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dhriti! I love your writing style in this. This is a pretty thought-provoking Blog Post overall, but I also appreciate your use of humor―the recurring joke about how you most definitely did not fart and sneeze at the same time in front about your entire class. You provide a multifaceted look at the nature of memory, understanding that memories are "not always reliable" while still recognizing the profound role they play in people's identities. I also appreciate that you end on a somewhat identity-affirming note. Often, people feel stuck to the effects and implications of their past―I know I do―but I love how you are able to spin the fickle nature of memory into a positive that allows us to shape who we are rather than being limited to a fixed understanding of ourselves. I appreciate that you repeatedly emphasize the power to change through the "experiences, thoughts, and stories we tell ourselves," later floating the idea that maybe our identities do not lie in the memories themselves but the act of "deciding which memories matter the most." There's something powerful about being able to manipulate one's understanding of the past and, thus, one's own identity, and I like that you ended on that note. Great job overall!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pearl Kyaw 16 - This Is It?

Ruhi Week 16 - Happy Birthday to Me

Anthony Week 16 - Whoopsie Daisy!