Anthony Week 13 - Who am I?

 https://www.austral.edu.ar/cerebroypersona/en/presentacion/preguntas/memoria-e-identidad/

What makes you, you?

Some might say it's the DNA that constitutes who we are, as it is the foundation of our every trait, programming who we are. Others might say that we are a result of our environment, molded by every single thing surrounding us. While none of those answers are inherently wrong, I feel like they overlook something that simply cannot be ignored: memories. 

If you went back and visited your past self a year ago, how much has changed in that time? What about in the past five years? What about ten years? Would you be the same person? It’s easy to say at a glance that you’d be the same person as when you were younger but it’s hard to justify that idea when there’s in fact nothing that is the same besides your DNA. All those experiences in those years between the past and present change a person so much that chances are, if a person relived their life, chances are, it would look nothing like what it currently does. 

This idea can be pretty clearly seen in people with deep-rooted trauma, as the memories of past trauma are part of what makes them who they are. If those memories of trauma that define their identity did not exist, who would they be? It’s blatantly wrong to call them the same person, as the only thing that would stay consistent would be their physical appearance, if anything at all. Without the trauma, all other aspects of their identity would not be able to exist. 

Ultimately, it is not just genetics or our surroundings that shape who we are, but the past memories that influence our every decision and mannerism that truly create our identity.


Comments


  1. Hi Anthony, Your blog was amazing. I really liked how you emphasized the role of memories in shaping our identity. In general your argument that we wouldn't be the same people if we relived Our lives is compelling especially when you bring up trauma it really gave me a sense of looking at it from another angle. It made me reflect on how even small experiences both being good or bad can significantly **** our personalities and our decisions. I also wonder do you think we have control over which memories define us or are we simply shaped to be regardless of our intentions? Overall your blog was really good, looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anthony, this blog is really deep and brought up a very interesting point about what makes each of us unique. I do agree with you that our memories shape us and form us into who we are today. To answer some of your questions, if I would go back in time to a year ago, I know for a fact that I was in a very different place mentally and I would be amazed by how far I have come. I have grown so much as a person due to my experiences and no longer value the same things I used to, and instead have formed new connections to people and items. I believe that if there was someone else who looked just like me and was from the same family but had different memories, I would be a totally different person. My observations through life have shaped me into a confident person who is socially aware, which must be developed over time through memories. Overall, the format of your blog is very unique as it mainly consists of questions, but I enjoyed the thoughtfulness behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anthony! I love this Blog Post and the overall idea you have discussed here. I often ask myself the question of exactly what makes us who we are, and you make a brilliant case for our memories playing a major role. It makes logical sense. I like how you brought up the concept of trauma, which is basically just the long-lasting effects from a memory or series of memories with a severe negative impact. I personally believe this is the case for many kinds of life experiences. The values and core beliefs people hold often directly stem from formative experiences that have taught them certain lessons about life. Our knowledge, of course, is dependent on remembering various facts and how they connect together. Our personalities, though certainly shaped by DNA, are also impacted by life experience.

    Given this, obviously I would not be the same person as my seven-year-old self. I have thankfully grown and learned a lot since then. Thank you for writing this very thought-provoking Blog Post―this will stick with me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pearl Kyaw 16 - This Is It?

Ruhi Week 16 - Happy Birthday to Me

Anthony Week 16 - Whoopsie Daisy!