Gurnoor Kaur 11 - Health is Wealth
My parents have often emphasized the importance of staying healthy. This was often done by claiming that foods such as apples, or even vitamin gummies, give us strength and power which always confused me. I had always noticed however how people could improve in their health in a matter of days and how that had such a drastic effect on their bodies. The very people who had once been sick in bed or barely able to walk could easily run marathons within a week. I never really understood how or why this was so important or the power that the vast field of medicine holds over people as I do now.
My knowledge on medicine has really grown due to the biomedical class I take. That class revolves around not only the different aspects of health care such as its various methods, professions, and procedures but also how technologies and research have been used to help the public and continue to do so. The field of biomedical sciences, especially, revolves around the research conducted to diagnose and treat diseases while also developing new cures and treatment methods. It is with the help of this research that medical researchers and biomedical engineers are able to craft new products and technologies to help those in need, ranging from cures to implants.
Medicine can do a lot more than simply fix a cold or even relieve your pain, it can work to manage chronic conditions and diseases, even those which may be genetic. Many people often overlook the complex processes used to create such medicines as it isn’t made by simply mixing herbs together. Lab scientists often have to examine how treatments can affect the body even to the molecular level as it is important that not even a single cell or protein in your body be affected too greatly as it can pose many dangers such as becoming cancerous or losing its function altogether. Furthermore, it holds the ultimate power of uplifting not only the physical state of individuals but also their mental well-being as well.
No matter how peripheral the work of those in clinics and laboratories is, it is important to acknowledge their importance. In the end, it is those such as doctors who take care of and improve our health so that we may have the power to perform day-to-day functions.
Hi Gurnoor! I was fascinated by your blog, as I found your thoughts on medicine's power to be truly insightful. I loved how you connected your childhood curiosity about health to your growing understanding through the biomedical class you take. I also find it quite fascinating how medicine does "a lot more than simply fix[ing] a cold or... reliev[ing] pain," and can treat "chronic conditions and diseases." Your inclusion of the complexity of medical research stood out to me, as "many people often overlook the complex processes used to create medicines." This made me reflect how much precision and care biomedical engineers and researches go into ensuring that the medication is both safe and effective for millions of people to use. I enjoyed reading your blog and could relate quite a bit, as I also want to have a medical career in the future. I look forward to reading your future blogs!
ReplyDeleteHi Gurnoor! I love your blog’s theme of health being a form of power, as it really is! Without being healthy, people wouldn’t have the energy to do anything nor have any control to do as they wish. Similar to you, my parents have always told me to stay healthy in numerous ways—eating vegetables, taking vitamins, dressing warmly, etc. It’s true that medicine really does work wonders. I personally don’t usually take any medicine, recovering over time, but I often see how taking things such as pain meds can be helpful to other people. Knowing you take a medical ROP class gave me a new perspective on your blog! This class sounds very interesting, being able to learn about such a large variety of topics concerning the biomedical field. I enjoyed reading about the types of things you learn at your class, and how people are able to create medicine to begin with! Your blog was very scientific and informative, and I feel like I have learned a lot. Take good care of your health, and thank you for sharing, Gurnoor!
ReplyDelete