Ruhi Week 9 - They're My Roads Now

 The power of self-sufficiency.

I never truly understood this concept until I turned fifteen and a half years old and immediately booked my appointment at the DMV to get my Driving Learner's Permit. At that point, I was the only one in my family who could not drive yet and it was really weighing on my parents. Most of my friends had to wait until they were sixteen or seventeen to get their permit because their parents did not want to let them on the roads too early. However, my parents were itching for me to start driving because as someone on a very time consuming FTC team for which I have to go to in person meetings very often, they could not wait for me to start going there myself.

Thankfully, I passed my permit test on the first try and drove immediately. The rush I felt as I moved through my alleyway was unbeatable, even if the car was only moving at 2 miles per hour. It wasn't the speed that thrilled me. It was just the idea of finally being old enough to do what I had been dreaming about since I was eight years old. Getting to drive is similar to how it would feel to vote for the first time: right now the idea seems so far away and a decision for a far more mature person than me, but in four years, I will be that mature person making that decision.

Pretty soon, I became more confident in my driving and after going on the highway and doing a hundred-mile drive within the first week, I felt as though I could do anything. The power I felt when clutching the steering wheel when I was fifteen and a half is something I still feel as a seventeen year old when I drive because you can never get too comfortable. As a great man (Spiderman) once said, "With great power comes great responsibility" and this could not be more true when being on the roads.

The one year anniversary of having my driver's license just passed and it reminded me how blessed I was that I got to start driving in the first place. It marks one year of me not having to ask my parents to drive me somewhere, praying they don't say no. It marks one year of me being able to go wherever I want because I can get myself there. It marks one year of incredible days where I have my friends in my backseat and we feel like adults going anywhere we wish to. It marks one year of me being able to make fun of my friends because they can't do that.

This is a picture of me driving my friends to our summer expeditions

So if you're sitting there reading my blog right now and you don't have your license yet, go out there and get it because everyone should have the chance to feel the power of self sufficiency!

Comments

  1. Hi Ruhi! I absolutely loved reading your blog about your journey with obtaining your driving license. As someone who is still working their way to that golden license, reading about your successful experience makes it seem less scary. I haven’t even tried physically driving yet, but it looks to be an amazing ordeal. My mom always talks about how fun driving is, and how she loved race car driving when she was younger. My sibling who had gotten their license a while ago always looks blissful when driving me around. Especially now, reading about the joy someone my age gets when driving is enough to convince me that driving is actually not this impending doom I’ve been picturing it to be. I find it amazing that you’ve already had your license for this long, having the ability to provide transportation for yourself must be amazing. I really liked your application of being able to drive to the concept of power, as well as your mention of the iconic quote Uncle Ben said to Spiderman. With driving comes a lot of responsibility, for your own safety and others’. Your last paragraph especially resonated with me; your use of the phrase “it marks one year” emphasizing the amount of time that has passed since you gained the ability to legally drive. Thank you so much for sharing your firsthand knowledge, and I will definitely continue to work towards earning my drivers’ license!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ruhi, Your post was so engaging and fun to read, Year post perfectly captures the basic thrill and the sense of freedom that comes to driving for the first time I mean it's great you got your driver's license but it must be amazing to drive. I'm going to turn 17 in another two months but I still haven't gotten my driver's license because I consider it to be a lot of responsibility like for going for classes clubs or anything outside the school i'll have to drive myself and sometimes drop my sister and I generally think I don't have the time to do that kind of stuff. I still rely on my parents to get everywhere and it's definitely frustrating at times but the way you describe driving for the first time even in just 2 mph made it sound So amazing to drive and it makes me want to go grab their driver's license right now.

    Honestly it was a great post and I could feel your excitement and confidence in every word. hopefully I'll be in the driver seat soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ruhi! It was really fun reading about your journey in obtaining not only your permit but also your drivers license. It was really interesting to read about your motivation to drive and how it influences you since it is both similar yet different to my own experience. I had only gotten my permit less than a month ago and I had been very excited for it before but after my first driving lesson my excitement slowly began to fade since I realized I would be driving simply to fulfill chores. Nevertheless, the rush I feel when I simply imagine myself driving a car is much the same as yours. Originally, my motivation to drive has stemmed from the idea that I can finally be the one in control even if it is for a little while. I had never really thought before that an act as simple as driving a car would represent some of the power an individual has which makes your blog all the more insightful and me more eager to get my license. Thank you so much for sharing Ruhi, I hope we get to work together more in the future!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pearl Kyaw 16 - This Is It?

Ruhi Week 16 - Happy Birthday to Me

Anthony Week 16 - Whoopsie Daisy!