Gurnoor Kaur 9 - Knowledge is Power
While growing up I had heard a lot from not only my parents but also anyone else I came across that I should keep studying as hard as I can. That always confused me and almost annoyed me as to why that was so important. During elementary school, I often saw school as something boring and unnecessary, not knowing the true importance of its value. I was often faced with big lectures on how hard schooling had been during my grandparents and even my parents’ time and so I should be grateful that it isn’t the case for me. These stories often evoked sympathy and made me realize the truth in their words for a temporary amount of time. I only truly began to understand the reason why it is so heavily emphasized as I slowly grew up and embraced a more open-minded view.
Gaining knowledge can not only help enlighten individuals but can also further assist them in their everyday lives. Being more informed on the things that may be going on around you is a good way of achieving this. This was something my parents often stressed to me so that I may be able to empower myself by making my own decisions rather than relying on someone else.
It finally helped me understand what others had been trying to teach me: knowledge is power. I realized that nearly everyone that has risen to power or upper status has done so after pursuing their education. This has undoubtedly helped me in motivating myself in ways I hadn’t been before.
Hi Gurnoor! I wholeheartedly agree with the message that you are sending out. Similar to you, I did not really understand the importance of school during the early stages of my life until observing the behaviour of those older than me. For one, my older sibling had to deal with tougher classwork than I, resulting in their inability to play with me. I didn’t quite understand why they had to study all the time until I reached their age, where teachers and parents began to further emphasize the idea of high school, college, and eventually getting a job. In order to achieve all of these essential points in life, getting a good education is important. It is especially good to cherish the schooling I am receiving, as other children around the world might not have the same opportunities. Even if school may be boring or tedious, it is still a privilege to be able to go to school in the first place. To reach higher standings in life, knowledge, like you said, is the most imperative power to hold. Being able to navigate through the world and take part in daily activities is difficult to do without withholding information and knowing certain things. Information that may seem useless now could be very helpful in the future. Thank you for sharing, Gurnoor! I definitely feel more motivated to study harder than before.
ReplyDeleteHi Gurnoor, I can completely relate to everything you wrote. My parents and grandparents have always stressed the importance of studying and how gaining knowledge is the key to building a better life. My mom, in particular, would tell me stories about my grandfather, who had to grow up without a father. Despite the odds he worked relentlessly while studying, all his life, to provide a comfortable future for his family. He became the first rich person I ever met, but even more than that, he’s the smartest person I know. I have always admired how he never stopped learning, even after achieving so much. In my family, it has always been clear that education is not something that ends with school or college. My parents often remind me that we have to keep learning throughout our lives whether it is through books, experiences or just being open to the world around us. It is not just about having knowledge; it is about constantly growing and evolving as a person. Your post reminded me so much of the values my family has passed down to me, and I could not agree with you more—knowledge is power and it is what gives us the tools to shape our future. I am excited to read your future posts!
ReplyDeleteHi Gurnoor! My parents shared the same sentiment about education as yours, emphasizing its importance to me constantly when I was younger. Just like you, I never really understood that notion until much later when I finally realized how important knowledge is. Realizing the importance of education and how it enables us is a long process, but sometimes I wonder if that crucial process could be expedited by parents. Just like your parents, mine merely told me it was important, without showing me the impact it could truly have. Although primarily used for creative writing, the phrase "Show, don't tell" is something that I feel can apply here, as sometimes an actual representation can have a much bigger impact on the process of understanding than simply being told "Trust me bro" when asking why education is important.
ReplyDeleteHi Gurnoor! I can completely relate to you how my parents also stressed the importance of education starting at a young age. Just like you, I always questioned when we would use seemingly useless information that was taught in class in the future, refuting to my parents that we don't need to know how to write a proof for a triangle when we grow up and enter society. But as I grew older, I slowly began to realize that our parents wanted to make sure that we are able to have a bright, successful future ahead of us, and the best thing that they can do to ensure this is to make sure we receive a good education, which would ultimately increase our chances of finding a stable job. I can vividly remember the multiple times my father lectured me to have an open mind and be thankful for the opportunity to be able to go to school, and he often mentions how there are many other people in the world who don't have the same privileges as us growing up, explaining how education can be a distant dream for many. Although we may not see it now, education helps us overcome challenges, make informed decisions, and seize opportunities that others may have never had. I definitely enjoyed reading your blog and look forward to reading more in the coming weeks!
ReplyDelete