Bettie Huang Week 9: A Decision’s Power

https://holistiquetraining.com/en/news/the-power-of-decision-making-why-is-it-important-in-the-workplace


Everyday, we are faced with hundreds of decisions to make, including what to eat, what music to listen to, as well as how to spend free time. Although these decisions seem simple and may even just be part of our usual routines, they have great potential to shape our daily lives, influence our peers, and even eventually impact the society revolving around us.


Sometimes, the decision of smiling at a stranger may seem trivial, yet it could bring a sense of connection and comfort for a person who is having a bad day. And who knows? Maybe the stranger will extend the act of kindness to others just because of the quick encounter that brightens their day. Acts of kindness, no matter how small, can inspire a chain reaction of positivity and have a larger impact than we could ever know.


A couple of days ago, I came across a social media theory, the shopping cart theory, which suggests that a person’s moral character is determined by whether they return a shopping cart or not. Every time we are finished with grocery shopping and loading the items into the trunk of the car, we have the option of bringing the cart back to where it belongs or leaving it in the middle or the side of the parking lot. Returning the shopping cart, which may seem tedious to some after walking through dozens of aisles filled with colorful packaging and products, is an easy task that is universally accepted as the right thing to do. However, there also aren’t any rules or laws that prohibit people from leaving the carts wherever they want. Deciding to return a shopping cart will only make the cart attendant’s job easier and allow other customers to park in the empty spot, but no rewards or benefits will be gained for yourself. And so it comes to a crossroad in our minds: should we really return the cart? This task, which although may seem exaggerated, comes from the goodness of your own heart and is a social obligation that people would usually follow.


But not all decisions we make will lead to positive outcomes, especially in the long run. Fashion trends always come and go, making certain kinds of styles trendy one week and abandoned the other, and in order to fit in with the trends, people would resort to buying fast fashion for their chic looks and cheap cost. However, it is not sustainable, as after only a couple of weeks, they end up in the dumpster, never to be worn again. These decisions can contribute to landfill waste, imposing harmful environmental impacts to our societies.


In the end, even the smallest decisions carry weight, whether we realize it or not. While some choices may seem insignificant or inconsequential, they can cause chain reactions of positivity or unintended harm. The power of choices not only lies in their immediate effects, but in their potential to shape a better future for all.

Comments

  1. Hi Bettie! I found the topic of your blog to be very interesting, as choices are such a big part of a person’s life! We make choices everyday, whether they be life-changing, trivial, etc. For instance, my choice to comment on your wonderfully written blog! I thought the example you used in your second paragraph was really eye-opening. It is one thing to make simple choices from your own view, but an entirely different thing to make decisions that could mean more to others than yourself. This emphasizes the importance of “thinking before you act” or “putting yourself in another person’s shoes.” I also took interest in reading about “the shopping cart theory” you mentioned. Various theories exist across social media, but certain ones like this one make sense and are thought-provoking. Applying my life to the theory, I tend to return shopping carts as a result of goodwill and what I’ve been taught by my elders. Even when grocery shopping in a rush with my mother, she will always put the shopping cart back, or at least near its proper position. Your mention of the theory creating a crossroad reminded me of “the trolley problem,” putting a test to a person’s morals and what they value. Your closing point about negative outcomes to making decisions is definitely true. Choices made in poor taste can create results that are not only bad for yourself, but also society as a whole. Making a choice is certainly a powerful ability, and one to be done with care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bettie, I love the topic of your blog post. When I think of power, I often think about the power to choose, and I appreciate that you focused on the impacts our decisions have on others. I agree that small acts of kindness can make a big difference, and I like how you characterized something as seemingly insignificant as “smiling at a stranger” as something that can be passed forward to others.

    I love the shopping cart problem. When I first saw it on social media, it made me think a bit, since usually I would just follow along with my parents’ choice, whether they decided to return the shopping cart or not. I thought it was “exaggerated,” as you said it might seem, at first. But there are so many choices similar to it, whether it be returning an unwanted item at the store to its correct location or picking up trash that another person left behind. We are not bound to these actions by law, but they can still be tests of character, as the shopping cart theory posits.

    Your message about the power of small decisions is a powerful one, and you did a great job of using several examples to support your claim. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bettie, I Really enjoyed reading your blog, It really made me wonder and could not make me stop thinking about how even the smallest actions I make can make such a big impact on my lifestyle. For example, my choice to comment on your blog really made me realize how small decisions matter and especially the shopping cart theory was another part that really struck me. I'd heard of it before But I never really thought of it in detail but the way you explain it to me really made me understand how much it mattered I mean it's a very small decision but it could impact someone elses life and your life a bit I mean a little goodness could be nice, It's such a small act but it says a lot about your person's willingness to do what's right.
    overall your post was thoughtful and beautifully written. It is a great reminder to many people who are reading a post to really think about every small decision they make in their life 'cause it could impact their life by a lot thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bettie! The topic of small decisions with great power really intrigued me, as the idea in it of itself seems contradictory, despite the fact that the points you brought up undoubtedly support the idea. Your mention of the domino effect that can stem from just a simple smile towards a stranger reminded me of a concept called the butterfly effect, a concept from chaos theory which stated that small actions could have large effects. One of the most famous examples of this was the single wrong turn by Franz Ferdinand's driver which more or less sparked the first world war. I love how you pointed out how the domino effect of a single decision could on one hand lead to a great positive in the world, while also potentially contributing to the eventual destruction of our planet. It is a perfect example that truly illustrates the weight that a single decision can hold, no matter how insignificant it may seem.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pearl Kyaw 16 - This Is It?

Ruhi Week 16 - Happy Birthday to Me

Anthony Week 16 - Whoopsie Daisy!